Sunday, May 15, 2011

There's a Square in There ... Squared

The last two Saturdays I've been able to do a bit of sewing, yay!

I've been using one of my sister Kate's patterns There's a Square in There and I have been wanting to make it for over 12 months. I made the blocks a couple of months ago but I wasn't sure whether I wanted to make a King size or 2 smaller quilts and after playing around with the blocks for a while I decided on making 2.

I never seem to be able to adhere to any pattern in it's entirety. The first quilt is very similar to the original, I just added an extra row to make it a little longer ..... 


The colours in the photos aren't quite right, but it gives you some idea of the prints/blocks. As I put the blocks up on my "design wall" for the second quilt I liked it without the sashing too, so I decided to make them a little different from each other. I also added the extra row with this one too ........


They both still need their borders before they are ready to be basted and quilted.
You may have noticed that I'm really loving green, blue and grey at the moment, but I also really enjoyed making these quilts. Katie you're a genius!!

Last Saturday (while I was sewing), my husband was out fishing with a friend and I was delighted when he came home with a few very large snapper. Normally we like to bake whole snapper in the oven/BBQ, but unfortunately there was no way it was going to fit. We'll be eating fish for a while!


5 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful, Amelia! And Kate is a genius, but I love what you're doing with her pattern.... I have a hard time making one "as written" myself! It looks great without the sashing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I have made this pattern a fair few times now (for me, mum & my BFF) but have always used white and never even thought about making it without sashing. Now you have be buying grey kona & more Amy Butler, I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This is one of the patterns on my list to make!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw another quilt in the Kate Conklin group and that had a link to you. I am making a baby quilt now with the square in a square pattern and needed the boost to get it done. I am really liking your quilts.

    ReplyDelete